Poojo Conversation Kolkatta style

The guy in front started spewing out venom about the condition of Kolkatta. He must have been a supplier from Delhi, so he went on talking about how disciplined the crowd is in the Mumbai Ganesh Festival and how the city moves along even when there is a tonne of traffic.This started at Gariahaat, while on the way to Taratala.
The lady next to me worked her way up also, talking and interjecting with the guy in front of the auto. She too complained nineteen to the dozen and continued with the tirade how the whole of Kolkatta comes to a standstill during the Pooja.
Suddenly an old woman at the signal at Kalibari turned inwards towards the auto and missed smashing her face in it. We heaved a sigh of relief. She continued to ask if we would go towards another destination. The Auto driver surely missed a very great tragedy. Then these two got an opportunity to cajole the Kolkatta women and their strange ways. The guy in front said that he hated the crowds during the poojo and would shut himself up in his room during the entire season.
The woman continued to talk about how indisciplined the people had become and how they need to check out other cities and study their methods of discipline.
That was the time I felt I needed to come in.
I told them that every year I come to visit this beautiful city of teeming millions and become one in spirit with them during the Poojo Season.
I love the pandals hopping, the decorations, the sweets, the atmosphere, the unity of human beings during this time. I love jaalmudi, the gunjiya, the chinese, the rush at Gariahaat, the queues at various pandals. I wouldn't miss them for anything.
The fervor of the people around, the strength in unity, the loud speakers blaring, the police pulling out their hair.
I told them it is truly a spectacle.
So why do you crib so much?
Every city has its own special festivals and the Durga Pooja is the festival of Bengal.
So I gave them a dressing down and told them to shut up and not crib.
Love Durga and her various hues.
Wishing all my readers a very Happy Dassera.

Comments

Well said. The cribbing is also part of the festival(s) in most places. :)
Happy Dassera to you too!
Unknown said…
Thanks.Jean.Keep writing great stuff.I read u'rs too. God bless.

Popular posts from this blog

I Don't Like What You Do!

Success & Failure

Torito De Pucara in Peru